- Follow Off The Beaten Path on WordPress.com
- Spring is painting the mountains of Japan with fresh green. #roadslikethese #bqinjapan#Repost (@cyclocarbon): Despite a snowy course, a full 7 out of the top 10 were on #compasstires at last weekend’s #dickiescramble 80-mile gravel race - here the winner’s bike. #youdontneedknobsWith the laces of the @gillesberthoud panniers adjusted for max. volume, the #mulebike gets quite wide! Still rides great no-hands, though. #bqinjapan #touringbike
Top Posts & Pages
- Tire Pressure Take-Home
- Handlebars: Wide vs. Narrow
- Working on the Old Road to Jikkoku Pass
- How Wide a Tire Can I Run?
- The Trouble with "Road Tubeless"
- Which Hand for which Brake?
- Tire Width: how much difference do a few millimeters make?
- 12 Myths in Cycling (1): Wider Tires Are Slower
- Why We Choose Steel Bikes
- Bottom Brackets Demystified
Category Archives: Product News
We’ve been fans of Gilles Berthoud saddles and bags for many years. Above is Theo’s bike with Berthoud GB28 bag and Aspin saddle. These parts have been incredibly durable: I still use the very first Berthoud handlebar bag that he bought 17 … Continue reading
The big story of last weekend’s North American Handmade Bicycle Show were Enduro Allroad bikes – road bikes with tires wider than 45 mm. These bikes are great on paved roads, but their true element is gravel. Even on smooth gravel, these extra-wide tires roll … Continue reading
Since our first visit to Japan last year, we’ve been fascinated by Rinko, the Japanese system of packing bikes for train travel. The Rinko system developed by the builders Alps and Hirose is especially elegant and results in the smallest possible package … Continue reading
We’ve been wearing Woolistic’s merino 100% wool jerseys for fourteen years now, since we first ordered these for the Seattle Randonneurs. We appreciate the scratch-free comfort and the wide range of temperatures in which these wool jerseys are comfortable. During … Continue reading
The Spring 2014 Bicycle Quarterly came off the press earlier this week. It’s another exciting issue, full of inspiring stories, useful technical articles and beautiful bikes. We tested a new semi-production bike from Mitch Pryor (MAP). This was a perfect … Continue reading
Compass Bicycles Ltd. introduces a full line of high-performance tires in both 700C and 650B sizes. The narrower 700C tires are a great way to transform the performance and comfort of a racing bike. The wider 700C tires, especially the … Continue reading