- Follow Off The Beaten Path on WordPress.com
- The latest Ti-Carbon dream bike from @fireflybicycles rolls on #compasstires. #repostOn the blog today: wide vs. narrow handlebars. Which ones you choose depends on many factors. (Link in bio.)The twilight climb to an unnamed 5000 ft pass was amazing. At the top, a gravel road beckoned... #bqinjapan #passhunting #mulebike
Top Posts & Pages
- Handlebars: Wide vs. Narrow
- Tire Pressure Take-Home
- How Wide a Tire Can I Run?
- The Trouble with "Road Tubeless"
- Why Handlebar Shapes Are Important
- Which Hand for which Brake?
- Handlebar Width
- Tire Width: how much difference do a few millimeters make?
- 12 Myths in Cycling (1): Wider Tires Are Slower
- Compass Introduces Quintuple Cranks
Category Archives: A Journey of Discovery
I had the opportunity to ride a favorite classic René Herse again recently. This is the bike that started the current trend of 650B bikes in North America. It’s the bike that made us re-evaluate front-end geometries and wide tires. … Continue reading
I ride my bike for enjoyment, fitness, travel and transportation. Bicycles fill more than 90% of my transportation needs (with trains, airplanes, rental trucks and cars making up the other 10%).* For all these needs, I only require two or … Continue reading
When I started riding seriously while I was in college in Germany, it became apparent that my Peugeot 10-speed no longer was sufficient. Not only did it lack performance, but it required repairs almost daily. So I soon started shopping … Continue reading
When we wrote the “A Journey of Discovery” series for this blog, we started with the racing bikes we rode a little over a decade ago. However, my “journey” has been much longer… I grew up in Germany, where all … Continue reading
A little while ago, we talked about how sports cars are equipped with lights and fenders, and nobody thinks they are less sporty for it. Performance bicycles don’t have lights and fenders, because most “weekend warriors” don’t think they need … Continue reading
In this series, we have explored how our preferences changed from mid-trail geometries, 700C x 28 mm tires and saddlebags to low-trail 650B bikes with much wider tires and handlebar bags. What will come next? Will we soon ride fully-faired carbon … Continue reading