- Follow Off The Beaten Path on WordPress.com
- Fern's new custom cross / allroad bike is designed to go fast on any kind of surface. Rolling smoothly on #compasstires Barlow Pass 700C x 38s. #repost #allroadbikeThe Winter @bikequarterly is now in stock: With 112 pages of exciting content, it’s more a book than a magazine. More info on the blog (link in bio). #bq66What is it like to compete on a 30-year-old bike? On the blog today (link in bio). #alancross #allroadbike
Top Posts & Pages
- Winter 2018 Bicycle Quarterly
- The Trouble with 'Road Tubeless'
- Racing a 40-year-old bike
- 12 Myths in Cycling (1): Wider Tires Are Slower
- Myth 12: Disc Brakes Work Better Than Rim Brakes
- How Wide a Tire Can I Run?
- Bicycle Quarterly Movie: A 30-Hour Ride
- Why We Choose Steel Bikes
- Handlebars: Wide vs. Narrow
- Which Hand for which Brake?
Monthly Archives: January 2016
The Compass CP1 rack for centerpull brakes now is made from Cromoly steel. This makes it one of the lightest and strongest racks available today. It’s one example of how we work with our suppliers: Together, we create components that go well beyond what … Continue reading
The first Tokyo Cycle Parts show was held last week. This trade show is open only to the bicycle industry, which allowed focused inquiry into products, and provided a good glimpse at what is happening in Japanese cycling. For me, it also … Continue reading
A few weeks ago, we went back to Houshi Onsen, my favorite hot springs in Japan. Our friends had taken Hahn and me to this wonderful place on a ride that coincided with a typhoon hitting Japan. Despite the torrential rain and lashing wind, … Continue reading
We recently received the French edition of our book The Competition Bicycle. It’s exciting to see our work translated into languages beyond English – after the German edition, there now is a French one. Our French publisher, Éditions Vigot, did … Continue reading
My recovery from the accident is proceeding smoothly. My bones have healed, and I hope to ride my bike again in a few weeks. Where shall I go on that first ride? I am back in Japan, finishing the things that … Continue reading
During the R&D of the Compass tires, I was surprised how much difference tire treads can make. I rode three sets of tires with the same casing, same tread rubber and same width, but different tread patterns: standard Grand … Continue reading
Best wishes to you for 2016! May the new year bring you wonderful rides and great memories. Photo credit: Natsuko Hirose