All Bicycle Quarterly back issues continue to be popular, because their content is timeless. Our historic articles are well-researched, with interviews of the people who were there, plus detailed research in the contemporary literature. If you want to know the story of Alex Singer or Jack Taylor, or how the first Campagnolo parallelogram derailleur was developed, there simply is no better resource than the BQ back issues.
Our technical articles also have stood the test of time. What we wrote ten years ago about front-end geometry revolutionized the understanding of bike handling (think low-trail geometries). Our first tire tests have now been confirmed by many others (wider tires roll as fast as narrow ones). Other subjects, such as frame flex and “planing”, still remain ahead of the mainstream press. You won’t find more definite articles on these subjects anywhere else.
Our rides continue to inspire riders to explore roads off the beaten path, whether it’s riding a 1946 tandem in Paris-Brest-Paris, the incredible Raid Pyrénéen with its 18 mountain passes, or finding “secret passes” in the Cascade Mountains.
All back issues continue to be available. (Ordering several also provides savings on shipping.) For readers who just want all, we do offer BQ 1 – 50 at a special price. You get 2844 pages of reading enjoyment…
We now offer 4-packs of BQ back issues as well: These are “mix and match” – you get to choose your selection of back issues. We also offer pre-selected “packages” on individual subjects, to make it easier for readers who want to read up on one of the following topics:
- Tire Performance: Our famous tire tests that started the revolution toward wider tires.
- Bike Handling: Detailed explanations of how to design bikes to handle well with various loads, tire sizes and other factors, plus a look at bicycle geometry and how each factor affects a bike’s handling.
- Frame Stiffness and Planing: Our double-blind tests of frame stiffness and how it affects performance, plus tests of fork blade flex and more.
- General Bike Performance: Wind tunnel tests of fenders, bags, clothing and tires of different widths. Quantifying suspension losses as the bike goes over bumps. Measuring the drag of generator hubs. A survey of PBP equipment, correlated to finishing times and problems riders experienced.
- Our Best Interviews: Grant Petersen, Charlie Cunningham/Jacquie Phelan, the builders at Toei, Paulette Porthault.
- Classic Builders 1: Alex Singer, Jack Taylor, Goëland, Reyhand.
- Classic Builders 2: Charrel, Barra, Hetchins, TA.
- American Builders Speak: Peter Weigle, Mark Nobilette, Bruce Gordon and Jamie Swan on filing and making lugs, a carbon-titanium bike and frame alignment.
- Tandems: Classic tandems, geometries, amazing tandem rides past and present, and the restoration of the 1956 PBP-winning René Herse.
We put together the packages with as little overlap as possible. You can order all “technical” 4-packs and not get a single issue twice. The same applies to the “history” 4-packs. (Where overlap does occur, it is noted in the descriptions.)