Happy Solstice! This means that summer officially has started, and the Summer issue of Bicycle Quarterly is at the printer. It will be mailed next week. The topics include:
- Do larger wheels roll faster on bumpy roads than small ones?
- Collecting roads: How to find the best backroads.
- Test of the Ellis Randonneur bike that won “Best Frame” at the 2011 North American Handmade Bicycle Show.
- How we test bikes and measure their geometries.
- The story of the René Herse tandem that come first in Paris-Brest-Paris and won the Poly de Chanteloup hillclimb race, then was restored from a complete wreck.
- More experiments on shimmy: What contributes to it, and what you can do to prevent or at least reduce it.
- Peter Weigle explains in the “Builders Speak” series how he shaves tires to improve their performance.
Click here for more details and photos from the Summer 2011 Bicycle Quarterly. If you are not a current subscribers, sign up or renew today to make sure that the Summer issue reaches you without delay.